Skip to main content

A mixed pod.



I’m aware that Podcasts have been floating around the internet for many years, yet I’ve never engaged with one -  I hadn’t even noticed the podcast icon on my iPad till this section of the course. It was with some trepidation I ventured forth and pressed the Podcasts icon to explore the world of Podcasts. All I had decided before venturing forth was that I would look for something LGBTQ related as having a topic may make searching easier. 

First, I headed into categories thinking there would be an LGBTQ section, but I could find one so I had to think where would they be placed. After setting on Society and Culture I began to trawl my way through hundreds of podcasts, till eventually giving up and opting to do a search which was much more fruitful. ‘Gay Agenda Radio’ caught my eye – some topical debate and discussion would be interesting. Oh dear, how wrong could I be. It turned out to be total waffle and full of inane babble with very little content indeed. The most useful feature on that part of the Podcast player was the stop button (eagerly pressed after 10 minutes) and the ‘You might also like’ section in which I came across ‘Out Here in America’. And I’m so glad I did. 

Basically, each episode is an interview conducted by Justin Mitchell with a wide range of people about their LGBTQ experiences in small town America (in an around Mississippi). What an amazing programme. It’s just the interviewer and his subject talking honestly and openly about their experiences, in a part of America not always thought of in a positive light in its views on LGBTQ issues. I’ve listened to eight so far including hearing from a survivor of the Pulse nightclub shooting, an older man transitioning and the owner of the oldest gay bar in Mississippi. Many are very moving. There is no wasted space in the production, just some pertinent questions from the interviewer and the people’s stories. I find this kind of approach really engaging, and I feel blessed to have shared their story even just for this short time. I’m left wondering what these people are doing now, how are they getting on. I’m also gaining a better understanding of what LGBTQ life if like in ‘The South’ from people who are living there every day. I subscribed and rated the show 5 star and praised it appropriately though as yet the review hasn’t appeared on the podcasts page. I look forward to listening to the other people’s stories as I work my way through the series, perhaps you’ll have a listen too? 

On the technical side the Podcast software was easy enough to use though the categories section could do with some development – perhaps using sub-categories within the main ones. I’ve not yet downloaded one for listening on the move as the iPad is a little large to lug around when out walking, but this will be my next task so I have something different to listen to on the train or holiday and not t have to worry about internet connections.

UPDATE: 21st November 2018
Since discovering Out Here In America as part of 23 Things, I've avidly listened to the podcasts as they have been released, and caught up with earlier editions. I've really enjoyed them and finding out about LGBTQ+ folks and issues in southern America. In October 2018 the last edition was released and it looks like there will be no more Out Here In America podcasts :0( Thank you to presenter Justin Mitchell and the team at Sun Herald in Biloxi, Mississippi for producing this podcast. I felt I got a real insight into the lives of some of the LGBTQ+ community in the Mississippi area, through Justin's very personal approach. No sensationalism, no filler, just people talking honestly about their lives. Thank you guys so much for this podcast.   
https://soundcloud.com/outhereinamerica 

Comments

  1. Since discovering Out Here In America as part of 23 Things, I've avidly listened to the podcasts as they have been released, and caught up with earlier editions. I've really enjoyed them and finding out about LGBTQ+ folks and issues in southern America. In October 2018 the last edition was released and it looks like there will be no more Out Here In America podcasts :0( Thank you to presenter Justin Mitchell and the team at Sun Herald in Biloxi, Mississippi for producing this podcast. I felt I got a real insight into the lives of some of the LGBTQ+ community in the MIssissippi area, through Justin's very personal approach. No sensationalism, no filler, just people talking honestly about their lives. Thank you.
    https://soundcloud.com/outhereinamerica

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rudai 8: Infographics

Here is my first attempt with Piktochart. I thought in advance it would have been a case of changing a bit of text on a template and in minutes an infographic would exist. It took a little more time and ended up going back to look at the help videos. Even using an existing template don't underestimate the time that is required to put together an infographic! However I do think infographic visuals are very effective in making statistics you want to highlight stand out and draw peoples attention to them. I am going develop more for work and to try starting from scratch.Once I have the templates I need then it will be so much easier to just alter the data and publish. These will be very effective especially for end of year reports to highlight what I would like management to see first, and highlighting things like survey results to staff and students. One thing I will have to do is work out how to get better information and reports out of my Library Management system. I know what

First Badge

Really delighted to say that I’ve achieved my first badge for  Rudaí23 Visual Communicator. I have really enjoyed this part of the course which has been a steep learning curve for me. Now for the next badge!  https://openbadgepassport.com/app/badge/info/67771

Librarian on tour

Ayr Carnegie Library: detail from window On my summer holidays I managed to visit several brilliant libraries, including the Ayr Carnegie Library, the Maybole Carnegie Public Library, and a visit to Scotland's oldest lending library at Innerpeffray - which proved to be an absolutely amazing library! With the future of many libraries uncertain, I do feel we should be supporting libraries whenever and wherever we can, even if that is just to look inside or ask a question. Who knows what else you may find while there. For example, at Innerpeffray Library my friend and I found ourselves leafing through a gardening book from the 1580's, and viewing hand written poems by Robert Burns, which was a privilege and delight to do. What will you discover at library near you? Maybole Carnegie Public Library  Innerpeffray Library: reading room and library