Skip to main content

Is the net working? Rudai 13

Photo taken by Stephen Leitch

Working through the Online Networker section of this course has been both fascinating and a little frustrating at times. Fascinating as I’m seeing and learning about software and programmes that can really help me link in with my colleagues and the wider librarian work, but frustrating because I have been battling my own pessimism about their usefulness in some cases. Whatever I have felt about this section it has made me stop and think about reaching out and working with others in the sector, and what image or brand about me I am displaying to the wider world online.

The digital footprint discussion made me do something I haven’t done in years – I Googled myself to see what information was readily available out there about me or my libraries. I was pleased to find nothing overtly incriminating, a few memories were stirred about past events and jobs and the odd chuckle over images. But also, I felt nothing startling either. With my Facebook locked down to private and Twitter registered as my current school library at Buckie High, little social networking evidence was found or articles in general. I admit I am a reluctant social networker, yet I realise this is an area that people use to find out information on other people and I have realised that what ever my feelings I need to have a positive presence out there online that clearly says ‘this is me, find out about me here’. And my lack of clear presence may be putting me at a disadvantage as people may not be getting a great picture of who this Stephen Leitch guy is. I have started to take steps to rectify this including reactivating a very dated LINKEDIN account, which despite still being a bit baffling to me I want to make my professional online site to direct people to and learn about me and my career, which no one would be able to find out about now online. I have also decided to create personal twitter account separate from the school library account I run, to allow me to follow people and organisations I wish to and to interact with, ask questions, share information, or take part in twitter chats with. This will provide another perhaps more dynamic space on the internet for folks to learn more about me – and me to be a more active networker online. Once established both will have the same photo and backdrop and description to give them the ‘my own brand’ feel. I’ll also use the biography I wrote in Thing 11 which I am really pleased with. Taking a slightly different approach to highlighting me and my digital brand, I have also been making sure in press releases to local newspapers that my name and job title appear in full in the press release. There is logic in this, so that if the article is published online with my full details it will be more readily found if people search for me. I have thought about branching out into other social sites like Tumblr for work, but on reflection decided that having another site to update with essentially the same information as on twitter that there is no point in this for me. Also, that would be work focused and not directly promoting me or my digital image. My challenge will be actively using LINKEDIN and Twitter and keeping them up to date, and the decision to undertake this is one of the largest positives that this section of the course given me.

I mentioned earlier that I am perhaps a more reluctant networker online than others, which may seem a little surprising as a solo librarian. Though on reflection that is not totally the case. I’m more of a traditionally networker – speaking to people real time, attending departmental meetings, contributing to requests for ideas and resources by email etc. But these are very much traditional approaches which I do feel more comfortable with, though confidence is sometimes lacking when contacting new staff or promoting new ideas. Interestingly I feel these are reasons I find online networking a little challenging – asking complete strangers for advice online seems odd. Yet it shouldn’t. Online networking should be easier – there isn’t a person standing in front of you! Following the Future Ready Librarians on Facebook has really shown me that I shouldn’t be worried about asking what may seem a non-important question, people seem very happy and willing to share information and experiences when they can, and I have certainly offered advice when able to and benefitted from reading other people’s posts, comments, and ideas. This experience alone is starting to make me feel a little more confident in being more active in the online networking environment and realise that I need to stop being a passive player and look for opportunities to be more active in commenting on posts, posting my own questions. As I develop my own twitter account this should also help be develop confidence in being more proactive in using this for networking, questioning and being involved in twitter chats which I have avoided having only my work account to use. Just having an account used for work while being a good showcase for the work of the library hasn’t given me the ability to be as free as I need to be to develop myself as an online networker. While there is a crossover – after all I am the librarian making things happen at Buckie High Library, what I want people to see me as, as opposed to my work twitter are two separate things and should be developed as such.

Having looked through some of the collaborative tools available to me and reflecting on my current position of work, one thing is clear. I really need to start better exploiting the tools that I have available to me before I go headfirst into using others. Presently, I don’t use any of the recommended tools mainly because I don’t readily require all of them in my employment network – though I have investigated them and can see the use of them, especially Doodle for setting dates for events and meetings as this can be an absolute nightmare. Also, for the likes of Google Drive, I’m learning to use an equivalent – OneDrive, as this is supplied free as part of the Scottish Governments educational GLOW network and is one we are encouraged to use. The principles are the same as Google Drive and I especially like the privileges that you can give people to alter files which is necessary on remote project work, meaning there is only one up to date copy. While I can see uses for the likes of Skype, this form of communication is blocked by our IT department which is such a shame as being remote working librarians in Moray schools getting together can be tricky and online meetings would be so much easier for us to do, and link into meetings with our colleagues in neighbouring authorities (of which we are trying to encourage and attend more joint meetings).  And the structure of work is an area that can hinder networking and collaboration – the access that you have to these tools or whether they are blocked by your IT department – many social networking and file sharing sites are for me. So, I need to better exploit what I currently use and have access to – outlook calendar, email, meeting scheduler, OneDrive for file sharing, but keep aware of what else is available for future developments and also collaborating outside of work on projects. Google Drive will allow me to share files with people online from home which many people on the Future Ready Librarians group do. I need to be future ready with these tools.

Being a good online networker is more than simply having a twitter account and liking a few things that your colleagues do. It’s about having a clear professional presence on the internet that people can identify as you, which you can use to engage with, discuss and share ideas with colleagues and other professionals alike using online tools to help with this. While not at the start of this journey I feel I still have some distance to go before I would call myself a good online networker. Working through this section of the course has allowed me to move forward on this journey, allowing me to develop strategies for moving on. And though at work I may not need to or be able to use all the brilliant tools available to me to help with collaboration, I have a much greater of knowledge of what is available to me to use outside of the work setting and in future employment, and a drive to better use what I have access to, and to be a better networker. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rudai 8: Infographics

Here is my first attempt with Piktochart. I thought in advance it would have been a case of changing a bit of text on a template and in minutes an infographic would exist. It took a little more time and ended up going back to look at the help videos. Even using an existing template don't underestimate the time that is required to put together an infographic! However I do think infographic visuals are very effective in making statistics you want to highlight stand out and draw peoples attention to them. I am going develop more for work and to try starting from scratch.Once I have the templates I need then it will be so much easier to just alter the data and publish. These will be very effective especially for end of year reports to highlight what I would like management to see first, and highlighting things like survey results to staff and students. One thing I will have to do is work out how to get better information and reports out of my Library Management system. I know what

Rudai 5: Screencast-o-matic is magic!

Making a screen recording was suspiciously simple to do with Screencast-o-matic. Just a few clicks and I was recording what I was seeing on screen and narrating. So simple, so brilliant. I have tried instruction videos before but this involved propping up ipads, positioning of monitors, sitting in strange places so I wasn't seen on screen, then recording the voice over separately. It did the job though it was so time consuming and awkward. This system is so much simpler, straightforward and will be a boon for recording instructions for using the library catalogue or guides for using specific software etc. I'll certainly be sharing this with my librarian and teacher colleagues. This also has got me thinking about how I could have used this in my previous life in the public sector with providing on line guides to using our catalogue and website, and simple commuting guides. These would be especially useful for people accessing the service remotely, and indeed would be a usefu

Librarian on tour

Ayr Carnegie Library: detail from window On my summer holidays I managed to visit several brilliant libraries, including the Ayr Carnegie Library, the Maybole Carnegie Public Library, and a visit to Scotland's oldest lending library at Innerpeffray - which proved to be an absolutely amazing library! With the future of many libraries uncertain, I do feel we should be supporting libraries whenever and wherever we can, even if that is just to look inside or ask a question. Who knows what else you may find while there. For example, at Innerpeffray Library my friend and I found ourselves leafing through a gardening book from the 1580's, and viewing hand written poems by Robert Burns, which was a privilege and delight to do. What will you discover at library near you? Maybole Carnegie Public Library  Innerpeffray Library: reading room and library