Skip to main content

Get reviewing


At school we often ask the kids to review a book they have been reading. Recently I thought to myself when was the last time I produced a book review. I couldn't remember. So I decided to write several for the website www.readingzone.com to remind me what it is like to write a book review to a deadline. I found it quite a challenge and realised that some kids will find the process equally as challenging! I do feel we shouldn't ask kids to do something we are not prepared to do ourselves. Ultimately I enjoyed the books and creating reviews which have been published on the website, and I have a better understanding of what I am asking the kids to do when I ask them to write a short review. Hopefully I can offer better guidance to those who find the task a struggle, and I will keep writing reviews for the website too.  The links are below for the two books I recently reviewed: 

The M Word by Brian Conaghan
https://readingzone.com/index.php?zone=sz&page=your_review&id=5554
(31/5/2021 Reading Zone has migrated to a new website and this review has not been transferred) 

A Hurricane in My Head by Matt Abbott
https://www.readingzone.com/books/a-hurricane-in-my-head/#review21861

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rudai 8: Infographics

Here is my first attempt with Piktochart. I thought in advance it would have been a case of changing a bit of text on a template and in minutes an infographic would exist. It took a little more time and ended up going back to look at the help videos. Even using an existing template don't underestimate the time that is required to put together an infographic! However I do think infographic visuals are very effective in making statistics you want to highlight stand out and draw peoples attention to them. I am going develop more for work and to try starting from scratch.Once I have the templates I need then it will be so much easier to just alter the data and publish. These will be very effective especially for end of year reports to highlight what I would like management to see first, and highlighting things like survey results to staff and students. One thing I will have to do is work out how to get better information and reports out of my Library Management system. I know what

First Badge

Really delighted to say that I’ve achieved my first badge for  RudaĆ­23 Visual Communicator. I have really enjoyed this part of the course which has been a steep learning curve for me. Now for the next badge!  https://openbadgepassport.com/app/badge/info/67771

Librarian on tour

Ayr Carnegie Library: detail from window On my summer holidays I managed to visit several brilliant libraries, including the Ayr Carnegie Library, the Maybole Carnegie Public Library, and a visit to Scotland's oldest lending library at Innerpeffray - which proved to be an absolutely amazing library! With the future of many libraries uncertain, I do feel we should be supporting libraries whenever and wherever we can, even if that is just to look inside or ask a question. Who knows what else you may find while there. For example, at Innerpeffray Library my friend and I found ourselves leafing through a gardening book from the 1580's, and viewing hand written poems by Robert Burns, which was a privilege and delight to do. What will you discover at library near you? Maybole Carnegie Public Library  Innerpeffray Library: reading room and library