Skip to main content

Rudai 5: Screencast-o-matic is magic!



Making a screen recording was suspiciously simple to do with Screencast-o-matic. Just a few clicks and I was recording what I was seeing on screen and narrating. So simple, so brilliant. I have tried instruction videos before but this involved propping up ipads, positioning of monitors, sitting in strange places so I wasn't seen on screen, then recording the voice over separately. It did the job though it was so time consuming and awkward. This system is so much simpler, straightforward and will be a boon for recording instructions for using the library catalogue or guides for using specific software etc. I'll certainly be sharing this with my librarian and teacher colleagues. This also has got me thinking about how I could have used this in my previous life in the public sector with providing on line guides to using our catalogue and website, and simple commuting guides. These would be especially useful for people accessing the service remotely, and indeed would be a useful tool for providing staff training guides, rather than just having a printed sheet. One disadvantage (though more use of Screencast may reveal this) is the lack of being able to create introduction title screen with information about the video and end credits or information slides. Perhaps for this I will still need to use a video editor if i decide it is needed at all. A small price to pay though for such a simple and hassle free system.

Here is a link to a previous attempt to an instructional guide for the school library catalogue, recording the monitor using an ipad and tripod. school library catalogue guide

Comments

  1. Stephen, here's a "hack" for you. Create a slideshow (title slide, credits slide, etc.) with manual advance for the slides and display it while you're running Screencast-O-Matic. Start by recording the display of the title slide, then pause SOM. Switch to the window in which you will display an action, restart the recording, and continue with the action. Continue pausing and switching between display and activity screens as needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nancy for your comment, it's been a real help and has solved that particular conundrum for me :0)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rudai 8: Infographics

Here is my first attempt with Piktochart. I thought in advance it would have been a case of changing a bit of text on a template and in minutes an infographic would exist. It took a little more time and ended up going back to look at the help videos. Even using an existing template don't underestimate the time that is required to put together an infographic! However I do think infographic visuals are very effective in making statistics you want to highlight stand out and draw peoples attention to them. I am going develop more for work and to try starting from scratch.Once I have the templates I need then it will be so much easier to just alter the data and publish. These will be very effective especially for end of year reports to highlight what I would like management to see first, and highlighting things like survey results to staff and students. One thing I will have to do is work out how to get better information and reports out of my Library Management system. I know what

Librarian on tour

Ayr Carnegie Library: detail from window On my summer holidays I managed to visit several brilliant libraries, including the Ayr Carnegie Library, the Maybole Carnegie Public Library, and a visit to Scotland's oldest lending library at Innerpeffray - which proved to be an absolutely amazing library! With the future of many libraries uncertain, I do feel we should be supporting libraries whenever and wherever we can, even if that is just to look inside or ask a question. Who knows what else you may find while there. For example, at Innerpeffray Library my friend and I found ourselves leafing through a gardening book from the 1580's, and viewing hand written poems by Robert Burns, which was a privilege and delight to do. What will you discover at library near you? Maybole Carnegie Public Library  Innerpeffray Library: reading room and library

First Badge

Really delighted to say that I’ve achieved my first badge for  RudaĆ­23 Visual Communicator. I have really enjoyed this part of the course which has been a steep learning curve for me. Now for the next badge!  https://openbadgepassport.com/app/badge/info/67771