Skip to main content

Rudai 12: Online Collaborations

In the rural north east of Scotland working with school library colleagues is a delight, a great chance to meet, discuss, share ideas etc. But the rural nature itself can make the physical act of meeting up a bit of a trial – even arranging a meeting can be lengthy process. Our next meeting – now set for 19th March, was the result of at over 27 emails over two days which got mixed up with a training day date too. Perhaps there are simpler ways of doing things and Doodle has stood out as a potentially useful tool to aid in the arrangement of meetings, and one I shall be looking to trial to arrange the next meeting!


When reflecting on recent group meeting a and collaborative working, one in particular jumps out at me, an application for school library improvement funding which a group of us had volunteered/ been volunteered to undertake. Time was limited with only 4 weeks to get this completed – two of which covered the October break. After exchanges ideas, suggestions and comments by email it became clear we would need to meet up over the holidays to progress this work to the application form level. This we did in a café with no internet access (!) so were unable to contact folks who didn’t show. Thank goodness for print copies of work. We spoke, argued, discussed and decided another meeting was needed which duly took place a week later in one of our libraries. Application form completion was then delegated to one of our group members, who during completion process sent out copies for comments on drafts. The whole process was a very time heavy affair with a lot of face to face meetings which I’m not sure provided for me a most positive experience.  Email and occasionally messenger were about as advanced as our networking got, and partly due to events taking place during part of my annual leave I did get frustrated about giving up my time for lengthy meetings which didn’t always achieve as much as hoped for. Having investigated some of these online collaborative tools I think I would have looked at using a few of these to have a virtual meeting. As part of our physical meeting was to collate and discuss ideas, there is no reason why this could not have been completed on a platform like Slack, especially with its ability to share files. That it creates an archive of the meeting means others can look at the discussion and you’ve able to go back and extract missed ideas and links.  Also for seeking peoples comments and feedback on the application form, this could have been an online google document, where everyone could pop on look and comment, make changes etc.  A recent need to collate evidence would have befitted from this form of tool too rather than endless emails. I personally am quite taken by Trello being a list kind of person. I like the idea of a visual to do list so it clearly shows how people are getting on with tasks – though some may object to their lack progress being evident! These collaborative tools have made me think about including one or two as part of my repertoire of meeting tools, but I will need to check with IT if they will allow use of them on our network, are those involved happy to use that home if needs be (meeting during holidays) and will people use them. You can have all the fantastic collaborative tools at your disposal, but if people choose not to use them or not to do the work for a meeting in the first place then they are of little help. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rudai 8: Infographics

Here is my first attempt with Piktochart. I thought in advance it would have been a case of changing a bit of text on a template and in minutes an infographic would exist. It took a little more time and ended up going back to look at the help videos. Even using an existing template don't underestimate the time that is required to put together an infographic! However I do think infographic visuals are very effective in making statistics you want to highlight stand out and draw peoples attention to them. I am going develop more for work and to try starting from scratch.Once I have the templates I need then it will be so much easier to just alter the data and publish. These will be very effective especially for end of year reports to highlight what I would like management to see first, and highlighting things like survey results to staff and students. One thing I will have to do is work out how to get better information and reports out of my Library Management system. I know what

Librarian on tour

Ayr Carnegie Library: detail from window On my summer holidays I managed to visit several brilliant libraries, including the Ayr Carnegie Library, the Maybole Carnegie Public Library, and a visit to Scotland's oldest lending library at Innerpeffray - which proved to be an absolutely amazing library! With the future of many libraries uncertain, I do feel we should be supporting libraries whenever and wherever we can, even if that is just to look inside or ask a question. Who knows what else you may find while there. For example, at Innerpeffray Library my friend and I found ourselves leafing through a gardening book from the 1580's, and viewing hand written poems by Robert Burns, which was a privilege and delight to do. What will you discover at library near you? Maybole Carnegie Public Library  Innerpeffray Library: reading room and library

First Badge

Really delighted to say that I’ve achieved my first badge for  Rudaí23 Visual Communicator. I have really enjoyed this part of the course which has been a steep learning curve for me. Now for the next badge!  https://openbadgepassport.com/app/badge/info/67771